Tuesday 23 November 2010

Wayne Thiebaud (landscapes)

For the second of my posts on Wayne Thiebaud (For more biographical detail see the previous post) I am showing some of his landscape paintings. In 1963, Thiebaud turned increasingly to figure and landscape painting. Beginning in the 1970s, he began painting San Francisco cityscapes, wildly distorted views of the city's streets and hillsides that are reminiscent not only of Richard Diebenkorn's cityscapes from the mid-sixties but also the Precisionist paintings of Charles Sheeler and Georgia O'Keefe (for his cityscapes see my next post). His most recent landscapes dating from the mid-1990s share many of the same spatial and planar distortions seen in the cityscapes but utilise hotter colour and flattened planes to create the imagery.




















































12 comments:

  1. This reminds me of your work as well -- something about the lines and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're both into colourful semi-abstract landscapes for sure. Although I didn't see Thiebaud's originals until the early 80's I wrote to him in 1969! I received a reply which is in a box somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for compiling his landscapes, I hadn't seen them together before. The trees and clouds still look like cakes and cotton candy to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm astounded by Thiebaud's complicated designs and patterns. Just wonderful. And he certainly does not shy away from rich color scheme. Thanks for bringing these to the fore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an early post and my research wasn't up to scratch. I will be enlarging and updating posts like this one in the course of time. Apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I prints of his landscapes!? So pretty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found a framed print of Flatland River at a consignment store. I paid $40.00 for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a framed print of Flatland River at a consignment store. I paid $40.00 for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What was the year & name of the 2nd posted painting here on this blog? I have a framed print of it which I bought from an accessory store in Kansas while on a trip 15 years ago- I just loved it & had it shipped to Orange County, CA , where I lived. Now I am taking an art class by Susan Clark, in Escondido, CA & we are studying some of his works. Can’t find a title or date? Thanks, SusanJelinek

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.